Wednesday, February 27, 2013
The Boxcar Children Cookbook
So on Monday we started with Jim's Place Hamburgers. This comes from the 3rd book "The Yellow House Mystery." This is 1lb hamburger with a little pepper and 1 small onion chopped and mixed in. Oh and some hamburger buns too he he, simple but a big part of the story.
Yesterday was a crazy busy day so we did not make our Canoe Trip Pancakes from "The Yellow House Mystery" so we will be doing those on Saturday morning instead! Ended up having a late lunch and then snacks from our American Girl party for dinner. Sometime you just gotta have one of those days for your sanity :)
The pancakes are
1 c. flour
1 T. sugar
2 T. margarine, melted
1 T. baking powder
3/4 c. milk
Mix it all together and pour about 1/4 c. batter for each one on oiled griddle. They have even more details since it is a children cook book!
Today, Wednesday, we had Beef Stew with Little Vegetables from "The Boxcar Children"
1 T vegetable oil
1 lb beef stew
4 c. water
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 small carrots,scrubbed
8 small onions
1 c. celery, chopped
8-10 small potatoes, scrubbed
1 turnip, sliced(If wanted) we did not
2 c. tomato juice
1/3 c. flour
1 c. more water
1. Put oil and meat in large skillet and cook over medium heat till outside is brown.
2. Add 4 c. water and salt. Turn heat down to low and cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Stirring every 15 minutes.
3. Prepare all the veggies.
4. When the meat is tender, add the veggies and tomato juice. Turn heat back to medium. Cook for 20 minutes.
5. Put 1 cup water and 1/3 c. flour into pint jar(we used Tupperware) and shake until mixed. Add to stew and cook till it thickens. Takes around 5 minutes.
This was very very yummy. My anti-veggie hubs even ate it!
Tomorrow, Thursday, I will be doing a day of fasting in prayer for the church we attend has an official launch( it is a newly planted church) this coming Sunday. So dinner is on my husband for him and the kids. Probably fast food or pizza!
Friday we were planning on Jessie's Clam Chowder from "Surprise Island" the 2nd book.
1 slice bacon, diced
1 small onion, chopped
1 c. peeled cubed potatoes
2 c. water
1 can(6 1/2 ounces) minced clams
2 c. milk
3 T. margarine, melted
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Cook bacon in saucepan until crisp.
2. Add onion and cook until soft.
3. Add potatoes and water. Turn on high and bring to boil. Turn down to low and cook until done.
4. Add clams and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add milk and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Mix melted margarine, flour, salt, and pepper together. Add to the chowder. Cook, stirring constantly, until the chowder is thick and hot!
I will be sure to post how they turn out!